Software engineer with 6+ years of professional IT experience with focuses on software development, technical support, managing engineering teams, and developing scalable cloud services. A native of the Pacific Northwest, Joe enjoys hiking, strong coffee, and finding remote locations where his email can't keep up.
REST API Design
Google Cloud Platform
Promoted to a SRE position in recognition of infrastructure administraton and automation skills. Maintained the infrastructure used to host company's SaaS application on Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services. Helped assist technical support, marketing, product, and data teams frequently. Improved deployment processes with robust tooling that reduced deployment time by 60%. Developed an interest in Information Security and become the voice of security within the company.
• Built email deliverability monitoring tools to improve reliability in IP reputation.
• Delivered security training presentation to entire company to improve employee security awareness.
• Implemented external bug bounty program leading to remediation of previously unknown risks.
Authored automated blackbox tests for a SaaS application using a mix of Python and Go. Built and maintained test services to support automated tests. Specialized in testing SMTP services as well as backend REST APIs. Participated in collaborative support, dedicating time on an as-needed basis to the Technical Support team on tickets.
• Introduced a blackbox test framework to complement existing unit tests.
• Built multiple microservices using Go to assist in testing, namely an SMTP blackhole and webhook collector to log API metrics.
Assisted customers via email for a SaaS business using HelpScout. Made the switch from working in a traditional office environment to working from home on a distributed team. In addition to supporting customers, this role involved writing scripts using Python, Ruby, and Go programming languages. On occassion when the situation called for it I would also assist customers via video calls. Also went beyond the support role by pairing with backend engineers to improve a Go CLI tool to interface with the Customer.io backend and run internal debugging operations.
• Learned the Go programming language and shipped enhancements to internal CLI tools written in Go.
• Collaborated regularily with Product team to advocate customer feature requests and pain points as product enhancements.
• Rewrote external REST API documentation and improved the styling to include clearer code examples.
Primarily responsible for implementing an automation suite utilizing Selenium WebDriver and Robot Framework to complement company’s existing manual testing effort and further enhance software delivery pipeline. Established a performance budget and baseline to measure optimization throughout company’s IT infrastructure. Participated in bi-weekly software builds with development teams ensuring new features were moved into production with minimal impact to customer experience. Worked closely with SysAdmin and Network Engineering teams to maintain quality in the performance of the entire IT infrastructure.
• Implmented organization's first automated testing effort.
• Built QA specific tools and web applications to simplify and enhance testing process.
Managed a mix of open source and proprietary monitoring systems to ensure maximum uptime of all company servers and infrastructure. Acted as the communication hub of company's IT department and as the first responder to incidents. Administrative duties including computer systems access control. Acted as onsite desktop support to company's QA, Customer Service, and IT departments. Supervisory experience includes scheduling for the department, providing mentoring and feedback to team, screening candidates and conducting interviews.
• Rewrote department training procedure and guides to reduce new hire confusion/time in training.
• Assumed responsibility for department scheduling as well as hiring new staff when manager abruptly left company.
Joe Purdy — [email protected] — +1-503-348-1216